Sign in to follow this  
xMike

A little late night though

Hey guys,

It's been a hot minute since I've written up an "xMike Topic", but I was talking to a friend of mine today and I got inspired to start a little discussion here.

So we've all been playing this game for quite some time; Some of us more than half our lives (I, myself, am around 17 years as gross as that sounds). In this time we have interacted with thousands of players. Different people with so many variety of personalities from different backgrounds and walks of lives. We've experienced cultures and languages, different countries with different beliefs that we otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to would we have not logged on to Runescape.com so long ago. Myself, I would never have thought much about people from Brazil, or the difference between Belgs and the Dutchies. I would never have even really given a second thought of countries like Finland or Latvia or even that there is an island called Malta just south of Italy. Places where I have met some of the most unforgettable and truly amazing people in my life. 

As goofy as this game may be, it has exposed us to a lot of great things and even opened our eyes to some of the darkness the world and humanity has to offer whether that be that people have the potential to scam other people for their hard earned money, or even that a "friend" I had known for years could throw away that friendship over 1000 Yew Logs back in 2005 (Yes I still remember that you little shit). It has shown us that you could truly grow to love and admire someone without even seeing their face or hearing this voice.

I guess what I'm trying to get to is, this game, as weird as it may be, has been a place where a lot of us have grown up with and learned a lot of valuable life lessons. 

So for discussion value, I would like for you to embrace my curiosity and share some of the things you've experienced from Runescape that you most likely would not have without. 

• What kind of things have you learned from your time in Runescape?
  • Who are some people you met that have transcended well past this "game" in your lives?
  • Has the game had any sort of influence on your life? Be it positive or negative? Love life, career paths, ect.
  • Or anything else you feel like sharing!

All I ask is that you keep it respectable and stay true to the topic. :thumbsup:

P.S.

I hope you all are doing fantastic. Even though I have drifted off from the "active" role of clanning and Runescape, the love is still there and Forsaken will always be home!

Much love my friends :)

Edited by xMike
  • Like 1

I guess I could start this off. I shared a few of my experiences in the actual topic, but a lot of my feelings go towards the people met. 

Anyone who knows me, knows I was always in it for the people not the game; I probably am the worst Runescape player out there. But this game as brought me countless amazing friendships. There are people like @Raams and @Banana who I legitimately could not imagine my life without. I cannot count how many times I've sat up late at night talking to Joost about life; our relationships, goals, ect. Or how amazing it has been to have a "big brother" role with Charlie and watch this kid who joined Team Ninja Turtles grow into an amazing Clan Official and build himself a fantastic career IRL. People like @Joksu and @Ukki who, even though they are drunken Finns, are legit people who I will want at my wedding should I find a woman crazy enough to marry me. There are countless people I could name who each have shared special moments and bonds together that no one would understand, but we know. 

I think being one of the older members of Forsaken and watching some people step up when opportunity was granted to them and watching them become amazing leaders or valuable members of the Clan has been one of the best experiences of my 10 or so years of clanning tenure. Guys like @Bolern, @Jordy, @Out, and  @Carl. It's been a true pleasure being apart of that all. 

Thank you so much to everyone for such a great ride. 

• Like 4

Didn't read ngl, to early for that shit

This game is incredible Mike! I still remember being nervous going on our sunday pk trips as a little guy in golden sun. Gearing up with 15 people in pink skirts to clear the aussie timezone of all pkers, getting our fights crashed by NI and us growing into being able to do big run ins vs strong runescape clans. I treated runescape a lot different back then than I do now. I fell into the trap many young boys fall into and I was very addicted. Today I just chill when I play and it doesn't affect my work or studying anymore. This took a while to learn. 

Out of all the people I've met on runescape the one that stands out most is  @Mas1991. Back in Forsaken v1 we would pvm all day and night and go on crazy adventures together. These days we still go on little adventures but the days where we would stay up until 3-5 am are very far behind us. Nowadays that's the time we (Mas more than me) wake up :laugh:

Also going to a real life meeting with my other clan Vitality was an amazing experience. It's really cool to be able to meet people that you have known for a long time face to face. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickeh_2 said:

I treated runescape a lot different back then than I do now. I fell into the trap many young boys fall into and I was very addicted. Today I just chill when I play and it doesn't affect my work or studying anymore. This took a while to learn

I think this right here is about as accurate as it could get. That trap was extremely effective. For a lot of us it was a lifestyle; Especially when we found our way into clanning.

Awesome to read your viewpoint. I hope more share theirs! 

Good read, I too have met people here that I will never forget

Feels like just yesterday that I joined Forsaken but in a few weeks I will have been here for 3 years. Time does go by fast.

I'll write a proper response at some point if I remember

Edited by Out

First of all I think everyone improves their English because of this game and that helps a lot IRL.

In addition you learn interesting things about countries and individuals, I'm not going to name specific people as I just met way to many people over all these years. I did meet like 25 people IRL over all these years so that's quite a bunch. From an outsiders perspective some may see your clanmates/gaming friends as fake friends, but I always disagreed with such things. I mean you spend a lot of time online with various people and you get a bond with them as well, some know more about you then other IRL friends do even.

On top of that, I think a lot can let out their 'inner spastic' in this community or any other on the internet. Nobody is ashamed of shit here so that helps people IRL as well. After beign leader of more intensive PvP clans back in the days I got a lot of stuff in my PM about people with IRL trouble and they saw clanning/getting involved in such a community as a help to their IRL situation. So yeah, each individual has their own reasons for being connected and involved, and I think that's only a good thing :) 

Cool topic :)!

I know I've definitely had my life influenced - although it was more from the clanning community rather than the game itself. The game just happened to be the thing we first had in common when we start interacting with others.

The amount of people and their stories that we've come across is pretty amazing. We've all had our high and lows on this game but it doesn't take away the fact that all those experiences shaped us and some of those experiences just happened to be shared.

It's really hard to put into words how all of this has affected us - not because there isn't anything, but because it's a part of who we are.

A lot of my life right now revolves around where work is. I immigrated for this job leaving behind family and friends. The job I managed to land requires skills that I first picked up whilst in the clanning community and later refined. Things like leading clans, running forums and creating software were things that initially pushed me in this direction but that only happens when people have faith in your abilities or potential. Sure, ability and hard work plays its part, but I think it was the belief people had (and those who continue to do so!) that now leads to me sitting at my hotel bar abroad replying to this topic.

Similar to you, I've moved past the game. Therefore, moved past the common interest that brought us all together. So I think everyone I still keep in touch with, whether through Forsaken or other means, has transcended beyond the game.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, Rickeh_2 said:

This game is incredible Mike! I still remember being nervous going on our sunday pk trips as a little guy in golden sun. Gearing up with 15 people in pink skirts to clear the aussie timezone of all pkers, getting our fights crashed by NI and us growing into being able to do big run ins vs strong runescape clans. I treated runescape a lot different back then than I do now. I fell into the trap many young boys fall into and I was very addicted. Today I just chill when I play and it doesn't affect my work or studying anymore. This took a while to learn. 

Out of all the people I've met on runescape the one that stands out most is  @Mas1991. Back in Forsaken v1 we would pvm all day and night and go on crazy adventures together. These days we still go on little adventures but the days where we would stay up until 3-5 am are very far behind us. Nowadays that's the time we (Mas more than me) wake up :laugh:

Also going to a real life meeting with my other clan Vitality was an amazing experience. It's really cool to be able to meet people that you have known for a long time face to face. 

When is the team rickeh rl meeting? 

7 hours ago, Mas1991 said:

When is the team rickeh rl meeting? 

asap

• What kind of things have you learned from your time in Runescape?
    • It feels like I can do those repetitive menial tasks a bit more than I used to before for such a longer time than before I actually did play RuneScape. I have much more patience to grind games than I actually did before. I did learn some other small things but it's too much to mention it all in just one post tbh. (I learnt how to use a booster to ddos my friends IRL for banter!!)

• Who are some people you met that have transcended well past this "game" in your lives?
    • Idk, sadly not many people really influence me to that point online since it's like you get close, then you get distant again, maybe even stop talking eventually, I find it really hard to keep regular contact with people online. I think my boy Oob deserves this spot, also my boy Toets from TR sik guy

• Has the game had any sort of influence on your life? Be it positive or negative? Love life, career paths, ect.
    • It feels like I had more negative influences from this game rather than positive ones, now that I look back a lot has happened and I failed MANY MANY subjects because of this game lmao, my internet took quite the beating too...