Jump to content
Curbridge

Diving Discussion

Recommended Posts

Opening a chat to discuss diving in general. Please keep the Muff Diving to a minimum (NSFW on Discord for that stuff...), hoping this can be more about SCUBA diving.

 

Looking for people to share pictures, hints, tips and maybe a few good dive locations if they have any.

 

A bit about myself:

 

I learned as a PADI diver and have only been qualified as Open Water Diver since April 2019. Since then I've logged over 40 dives in the UK, Corfu, Malta, France and Jersey. I have also done my Advanced Open Water, and a number of specialty courses, including dry suit, wreck, underwater navigation and peak performance bouyancy.

 

A few wrecks I've done include:

  • the Valentine Tanks in Swanage (Two WW2 Valentine Tanks that sank just outside the bay of Swannage whilst rehearsing for the the D-day landings - about 15m deep)
  • the Fleur De Lys just outside Swanage (A French barge that sank in the bay - about 30m deep)
  • the Hirondelle between Jersey and France (a french 43m long cargo vessel sank in 1914 by a German U-boat - about 30m deep)
  • a patrol boat called P29 in Malta (a Maltese Patrol boat, purposefully sank by the Maltese government as a tourist attraction when the vessel was decommissioned from service)
  • a Wessex helicopter in Stoney Cove (a British Wessex Helicopter purposefully sank in Stoney Cove Quarry for divers to see)

 

My Kit

 

I'm still blowing bubbles on 15L cylinders (not gone twin or side mount yet) with a Mares BCD and SEDNA drysuit. All of my kit is pink where possible, including my Seawing Nova Fins, all of my pipe work, and Beauchat mask.

 

 

Dragon Boat.jpg

Pipes.jpg

Starry Smooth Hound.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

1 of my closest friends irl does Diving, he even teaches people how to dive. I got no idea what part of diving or whatever he does. I know he's spent about £60k irl on shit, and he needs a big car to put all his kit into. He's been abroad diving for 2 weeks and all we got out of him was the coke etc was really expensive however spirits was dirt cheap. He also been diving north of Scotland and he said he loved it, shame it was cold. 

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Robbiboi said:

1 of my closest friends irl does Diving, he even teaches people how to dive. I got no idea what part of diving or whatever he does. I know he's spent about £60k irl on shit, and he needs a big car to put all his kit into. He's been abroad diving for 2 weeks and all we got out of him was the coke etc was really expensive however spirits was dirt cheap. He also been diving north of Scotland and he said he loved it, shame it was cold. 

Yeh, the kit isn't cheap and I have a big car to move it all around in too.

 

I'm not on rebreathers yet which can set you back 5-10k just for a normal semi decent one.

 

I love going abroad. The visibility is so much better than our pond water. Cold isn't too bad if you're in a drysuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Nytram said:

Don't care cant swim

Diving would work well for you then...

Share this post


Link to post

Currently only have my PADI Open Water.

 

Not dived at all recently but dives I've done regularly in the past:

- HMS Boxer

- Lulworth Cove

- Chesil Beach

 

Also dived off of Sardinia + Greece (Lefkas/Ithaca)

 

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Out said:

Currently only have my PADI Open Water.

 

Not dived at all recently but dives I've done regularly in the past:

- HMS Boxer

- Lulworth Cove

- Chesil Beach

 

Also dived off of Sardinia + Greece (Lefkas/Ithaca)

 

Much to see off Lulworth and Chesil? I'm not far from them.

Share this post


Link to post

I brought a snorkel on holiday and went round the lagoons pretending i was a shark and sadly it was probably one of the best holidays ever 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Curbridge said:

Much to see off Lulworth and Chesil? I'm not far from them.

Chesil is nice reef-esque stuff 

 

Not much to see at Lulworth but the location above water is fantastic

Share this post


Link to post

Looks fun honestly, but I'd drain that oxygen tank in seconds with the breath problems I have lmao

Share this post


Link to post

i've never gone diving dunno if i would enjoy. looks kinda scary imo and i'm not good at breathing through my mouth

Share this post


Link to post

Went diving in Egypt with the Mrs in the coral and some shipwreck in the Red Sea but tbf.... I’m not too keen on swimming in something else’s habitat :why:

Share this post


Link to post

I learned how to dive this summer in Malaysia and it was incredible. I initially wanted to stay just three days to get my open water but I did my advanced straight after and I ended up staying for a week. I didn't expect to like it this much but I absolutely love it. I've done 10 dives now 9 from the courses and 1 fun dive. I will definitely keep blowing bubbles but it's an expensive hobby haha so only rentals for me at this point. 

 

I did my diving at the Perhentian Island off the east coast of Malaysia and I would definitely recommend it. Beautful Coral reefs, two nice wrecks and a chance to spot whalesharks (I didn't see one so I'll have to come back for that). Also the water is warm haha. In the picture I'm wearing a wetsuit but it's not necessary at all.

 

I've actually heard good things about diving in The Netherlands which I was completely oblivious about so I'll give that a go and I'll plan my next holiday with at least a few days at a diving site in mind.

 

 

Me on the right at 25 metres deep:

rgVYkV7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Rickeh_2 said:

I learned how to dive this summer in Malaysia and it was incredible. I initially wanted to stay just three days to get my open water but I did my advanced straight after and I ended up staying for a week. I didn't expect to like it this much but I absolutely love it. I've done 10 dives now 9 from the courses and 1 fun dive. I will definitely keep blowing bubbles but it's an expensive hobby haha so only rentals for me at this point. 

 

I did my diving at the Perhentian Island off the east coast of Malaysia and I would definitely recommend it. Beautful Coral reefs, two nice wrecks and a chance to spot whalesharks (I didn't see one so I'll have to come back for that). Also the water is warm haha. In the picture I'm wearing a wetsuit but it's not necessary at all.

 

I've actually heard good things about diving in The Netherlands which I was completely oblivious about so I'll give that a go and I'll plan my next holiday with at least a few days at a diving site in mind.

 

 

Me on the right at 25 metres deep:

rgVYkV7.jpg

Nice! I’m not really sure what the water temp is like in the Netherlands but The UK is cold enough to dive in a dry suit all year round. It adds another layer of complexity to diving because you have to compensate for squeeze on your way down, and dumping air on the way up to stop uncontrolled ascent.

 

I was the same with my courses. I did my open over the course of two weekends at a centre local to me and then booked onto their next advanced course a couple of weeks later. I haven’t stopped doing courses since!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

 

no thank you

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...